Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Welcome

 Here at The Metamodern Poet, I am going to primarily give advice about writing. I am myself a poet, and I am primarily a formalist poet. However, I did not start off that way. Like many people, I started off writing free verse poetry. While I did have a tendency to--mostly accidentally--use fairly regular rhythms, and while I was (and am) partial to alliteration, it was only in the past 20 years that I started writing formal verse on a regular basis. 

Among the advice I will give will be justifications of that choice. There are good reasons to write in regular rhythms, to use rhymes, alliteration, assonance, consonance, and parallelism, among other tropes. I not only want to advise you on your writing, but justify the advice. 

Now, you are probably wondering: why The Metamodern Poet? There will be a full post on that in the near future, but the short answer is that metamodernism is a reaction to the limits of postmodernism, including postmodern art and literature. The metamodern poet combines what we learned from postmodernism with what we learned from Modernism, the Renaissance, Medieval poetry, and ancient poetry--and not just the European tradition, but all the world's traditions. That is, metamodern literature is intended to span both time and place in influence. The sonnet as well as the ghazal. 

I hope you will enjoy the advice I give here. I look forward to sharing my ideas with you, and I look forward to hearing from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Syllabics

 If you were to come across a ten-syllable lined poem, you would probably expect it to be iambic pentameter. And you would probably be right...